Box in Boiler Unit
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jezebelle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Box in Boiler Unit

by jezebelle » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:00 pm

I am having new kitchen units installed. After having several kitchen quote who all quoted installing a cupboard around the boiler with a door, I assume this must be OK.
I read in the B&Q guide - "never to box in a boiler"!
I dont understand. B&Q were one of the quotes we had. All the kitchen companies (six in total) did not seem to think there was a problem. Do they have to box the Boiler in a specific way?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 pm

what type of boiler is it ?
make and model ?

Some boilers need ventilation for combustion, some need ventilation for cooling and some don't need ventilation at all.

So without abit more information, we can't really answer your question.

I will watch out for your next post.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Consult the manufacturers instructions, if unable to do so or you do not understand the instructions contact the manufacturer of the boiler or consult a CORGI engineer. Kitchen companies design & install kitchens & should not advise you to do any thing with your boiler unless they are CORGI registerd.

Would you consider consulting a heating engineer on kitchen planning? Even though he will be fitting boilers in kitchens day in day out, I would think there would be little chance, then why would you would ask kitchen fitters about boilers.

jezebelle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jezebelle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:54 pm

Thankyou for your advice. It is a Concord Boiler WRS with a balanced flue and venitlation on outside wall.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:23 am

Any kitchen unit supplier such as B&Q cannot comment on individual installations therefore will always opt for the safer option and advise against putting boilers in cupboards.

Any competent kitchen designer will have encountered this situation many times before, and should be well aware of how to safely disguise your boiler.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:02 pm

The concord WRS can not be boxed in with out air vents, again this information will be in the boilers installation manual under the heading "compartment ventillation". I disagree that a kitchen designer will know about boiler ventilation requirements and you have just proved this is the case in your circumstances, that they clearly did not know your boilers requirements.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 pm

A heating engineer's first choice for boiler siting will be in an airing cupboard which is of course an enclosed space and if manufacturers requirements for clearances and ventilation are adhered to then all should be fine.

There is nothing in your post to suggest that these requirements will not be followed but I suggest you contact the designer before placing your order and based on the information in these posts, ask them to clarify exactly how their design works around your boiler. If you are not happy with the replies, ask them to leave it exposed - or move it.

jezebelle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jezebelle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Thanks for your replies. I did check with the boiler manufacturers notes - and as long as the cupboard is larger and not compact, with the top open, the boiler is fine. The boiler will have a lot of space below and no covering on top, just a cornice.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1