Brick Wall in Garden Help
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
max_newbie
Labourer
Labourer

Brick Wall in Garden Help

Post by max_newbie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:55 am

Hi just wondered if anyone could help with some advice on our front garden wall.

We have an brick wall in our front garden which has been rendered by the previous owners and painted over.

However, over the many years since some of the rendering has chipped away. In addition, the top layer of bricks have also be damaged/chipped away as well - both actions making the wall look unsightly.

Was wondering if the top layer of bricks could be removed and then levelled off and also if the old rendering could be also be removed and re-rendered?

Had someone over to have a look at it and he said that I should knock it down and start again...which doesn't make sense to me as the wall seems absolutely rock solid! Not sure if was just angling to get me to pay out big bucks!!!

We really cannot afford to spend hundreds getting a new wall done so could anyone advise us if repairing the top layer and rendering again is possible or would it weaken the wall?

Many thanks in advance!

rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

Post by rambo77 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:54 pm

hi there if the wall is rock solid as you say there no reason to knock it down unless you dont want a wall at all you can re-render it which should not be a problem im assuming the wall is just an average size front garden wall..... if the wall is sound there no reason to not being able to do what you want with it

matty
Labourer
Labourer

Post by matty » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:53 pm

hi there,reading your questions i as a bricklayer would not take down the wall.if the wall itself is as strong as you say then chip off the old render and re apply the render with pva glue.the top course of bricks can easily be taken off and re bedded.that should save you a few bucks!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:59 am