Brown wire in shower switch outside bathroom burnt


Postby alang » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi
Complete electrical virgin here. The live wire in my shower switch, which is on the wall outside my bathroom, has burnt quite badly. We'd been having trouble putting the switch on and it staying on, therefore the shower was running cold. When I manage to get it on for a shower the switch gets very hot and a burning smell is apparent. I've now stopped using the shower. Any ideas? :?
alang
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 pm

[quote="alang"]Hi
Complete electrical virgin here. The live wire in my shower switch, which is on the wall outside my bathroom, has burnt quite badly. We'd been having trouble putting the switch on and it staying on, therefore the shower was running cold. When I manage to get it on for a shower the switch gets very hot and a burning smell is apparent. I've now stopped using the shower. Any ideas? :?[/quote]

ALANG
Obviously isolate power and turn off at main switch,
If wire is just damaged , as u say then a loose connection could
have been the cause , but there r other areas of concern here
which could mean more than remaking off and fitting new switch
as some have made the mistake of doing.
Just 4 your peace of mind get in an electrician to look at and test the circuit 4 wear and tear.

BLAKEY1963
BLAKEY1963
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm


Postby alang » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am

Thanks for your reply Blakey
alang
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


 


  • Related Topics