Bubbly plaster
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nick74
Labourer
Labourer

Bubbly plaster

by Nick74 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi

I've just paid for a plasterer to skim my bathroom walls and artex ceiling. This was carried out 5 days ago. The plaster has been drying well over the past few days, however today I noticed that the coating seems to be "bubbling", particularly noticeable on the ceiling - Is this normal and just a part of the drying process or is this likely to be the permanent finish? If this is how the finish is going to look should I ask the plasterer to revisit to try to fix his work, as I was under the impression that once dried I wouldn't need to do any further prep and the walls would be ready to paint/tile.

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

:)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:43 am

Nick74,
Try pushing one of the bubbles, if the new plaster breaks out then the work is defective.
end

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 am

Sound like a poor finish, call plasterer to revisit his work. The bubbles will need to be broken and the ceiling re-finished. This can happen a number of ways or combination of wrong doings! Normally wetness of mix and surface it is being applied to.
KB

Nick74
Labourer
Labourer

by Nick74 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks both for your replies,
tried pushing the bubbles but are quite solid, tried sanding back a small patch and it sands back to a smooth finish, so more like bumps than bubbles....does this still sounds like problem with the work done or could it be something we did i.e room too cold or something?

dont mind sanding back the small patches on the walls but the ceiling is covered!

thanks for your help :)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 am

Sounds like the plaster may not have been mixed to a smooth consistance, call the plaster inform them of your problem be firm but fair with them. We all make mistakes.
KB

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:54 pm

Nick74,
Definitely this problem is not your fault. Get the plasterer back and see what he has to say about the ceiling.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:18 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am