All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theblonde
Labourer
Labourer

Burlington Bell (The 264) leaking overflow

by theblonde » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello all,

I'm having a problem trying to adjust the water flow in this old high level cistern. Thought it might have a slide valve (with washer inside), either or both of whch might need replacing, but turns out the part that functions as the valve is solid brass with a loop at the end (through which the float arm fits). Once this is removed, there's an 1/8 inch recess, with a thick rubber washer (quarter inch diameter) inside, which doesn't look damaged or in need of replacement. So far I've replaced the brass split pin that holds the float arm onto the valve body, but the water still gushes in, only tailing off a bit when the ball rises. Apart from shutting off the water almost completely, the only way I can get it to stop pouring out of the overflow, is to physically lift the ball arm (exerting more pressure than the rising water level will). There's a lot of give in the arm, which also moves easily from side to side, even after the insertion of the new split pin.
Does anyone have an idea of something else to try? Or is it time to give in; in which case, would it be cheaper to have a modern high level cistern installed, or get the existing one refurbed (assuming there is someone who does that)?! I've a bit of a soft spot for the old fangled things (my dad was in the Trade) so would really like to have it refurbed - would miss the old clang and clank it makes!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. And thanks for such an informative site as well.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Possibly the HP / LP cone split if you've replaced the washer already.

TBH it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole ball valve. Won't affect the operation of the cistern and you won't see it as it's all inside.

Cheers

theblonde
Labourer
Labourer

Burlington Bell (The 264)

by theblonde » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:50 pm

[quote="rosebery"]Possibly the HP / LP cone split if you've replaced the washer already.

TBH it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole ball valve. Won't affect the operation of the cistern and you won't see it as it's all inside.

Cheers[/quote]

Hi Roseberry,

Thanks very much for your reply to my original message - my laptop was stolen not long after I made the post and I could not for the life of me remember or find the site again! Meantime things have gradually deteriorated with the the old cistern, to the point that the water feed pipe valve is now dripping and I suspect the water pipe (half buried in plaster wall) is doing so too. Definitely beyond my scope to fix so it's time to call in a pro. What's the best course of action? Would you recommend searching for someone on this site?

Thanks again.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:32 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:05 pm