as any one used the buteline plumbing system
if so can we have some feed back
many thanks
bob

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 pm

I'd never heard of Buteline piping until I read your post, so had a look at a few websites to see what it was.

Unlike Hep2O - I like the idea of it being a permanent mechanical joint rather the push-fit, and the fittings look better (not as bulky).

Looking at the Buteline website, the pipework and fittings would make installation quicker without having a cheap bulky DIY look - therefore looking like a professional installation.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:28 am

i think it may be worth me giving them a call to them and get the local suppliers or reps number and have a look at it
bob

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:49 pm

i know that this system has been used in the US for years and it gets rave reviews, only a matter of time before it crosses the pond. the pipes are jointed in a similar way to electical earth terminals using a cramping device which i believe can be operated by hand or electrically.

wonder if hepworth are trying to stop it coming into the country..?

me, i'll still stick to copper :)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I've not seen the buteline stuff either and whilst it loks OK i'd like some feedback on it's uses in the real world before I'd trust it.

Now I going a bit off-topic.

Is it important that it just LOOKS like a professional installation?

I see many soldered fittings where the soldering is, frankly, carp. Too much solder applied, joints overheated, joint not cleaned as it cools.

I've also seen soldered fittings that are incorrectly made resulting in leaks.

In both cases done by professional plumbers as well as DIYers.

I've also seen HEP joints not made up correctly by professional plumbers - mainly because they either don't know or haven't been bothered to find out how to do it properly. In one case flooding a downstairs room that was just about to be redecorated. The joints must be made up correctly and the pipe properly secured as I've said before.

Is the use of a HEP joint any more a bulky "DIY" solution than a standard compression fitting on copper? I will NOT solder wet pipe. So if a joint has to be remade or a section of pipe replaced it gets done with compression fittings.

Now I'm not having a go at anyone specifically specifically - no really I'm not. I'm just interested to read that the emphasis seems to be shifting away from actually being a professional installation which can be done in copper, Hep or whatever to merely looking like one.

And I find that just a tad worrying.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Bob

I've tried to find reviews of Buteline products but I can't find any on the net. All I can find is that it seems to be used in many countries not just the US, and not many UK stockists.

I'll be interested to see what your queries turn up.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

buteline

by bobplum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm

just orderd some samples and price list will let everyone know how it goes
bob

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:00 am