All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sfjnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Buying new toilet cistern

by sfjnet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi
My downstairs loo has an older style toilet where the cistern is mounted on the wall and connected to the pan via a curved pipe. Unfortunately the existing cistern is an ugly plastic slimline model and I would very much like to replace it with a simple ceramic one instead (I know I could replace the whole toilet with a close coupled one but I'd rather not have the hassle). Is it possible to get a ceramic cistern that could just be mounted on the wall, or would the weight when filled with water be too heavy? If this sort of thing can be done, can anyone advise where I would look to buy one? I've searched the web and can only seem to come up with whole toilets or plastic cisterns.
Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 pm

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50551/Bat ... %20Cistern

Any good ?

Should come with brackets, as simply screwing to the wall is not adequate fixing with the weight of the cistern and water.

htg

sfjnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfjnet » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks htg. It is perfect, but for some reason Screwfix require a minimum £100 order for products in that range, and I don't need any other bathroom stuff. D'oh! I suppose I can contact Screwfix and see what they say, as they have been very accommodating in the past.

Cheers - you guys at DIY Doctor are great!!!!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:22 pm

wall mounted cisterns are widely available, go down to your local plumbers merchant or bathroom showroom, they can advise. most modern cisters are so water efficient that they only use between 6 and 9 litres of water - 1 litre of water weighs one kilo so you are talking 9kg plus the weight of the cistern itself. brackets and fixings are usually supplied with the cistern

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Conatct Screwfix - if no luck contact Armitage Shanks. If you can't buy direct they will be able to tell you where you cxan find your local dealers.

htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:57 pm