Cabinet lights best way to wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blackcabmal
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cabinet lights best way to wire

by blackcabmal » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Hello
I intend to fit some recessed lights into a cabinet that i will be building,ideally operated by there own independent switch,is it just a matter of braking into the lighting ring main (recessed lights with own transformers) that would be easy enough but just unsure how to run the switch.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:33 am

It is common to use either 5 amp plugs or the fused clock outlets to connect the lights in the cabinet to the house supply. I have also seen the click sockets which will allow all four connections to be made switch line, loop line, neutral and earth.
Wires buried less than 50mm in walls now need RCD protection.
Do make careful notes camera is good idea, the switch line is often same colour wire as neutral and if you get them mixed up its a real pain sorting them out again.
The projects section shows many options or look at my web site http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html do consider if you really want to connect to lights as often a switch fused spur unit is used so they can be selected independent of main lights.
Also bathrooms and kitchens may need Part P registration.
Eric

blackcabmal
Apprentice
Apprentice

by blackcabmal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 am

cheers ericmark for the detailed reply.Am i right therefore in thinking that a set of recessed lights just plugged into a power socket is a better option than connecting to house lights.
Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:29 am

Depending of availability of sockets but I would go for independent switched and with the modern idea of spiting the lights and sockets and pairing upstairs lights with downstairs sockets and vice versa on the RCD's it means if an RCD trips you still have light is some come from sockets suitable fused of course.
But in the main one looks at how easy it is to get to in deciding which option and normally easier to get to power than lights you need to consider pros and cons there is no black and white answer.
Eric

blackcabmal
Apprentice
Apprentice

by blackcabmal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks again for the reply.I am starting to lose you a bit as is often the case when experts explain things.Presume i am stupid,I understand that i could cut in from the ring of recessed lights to the new cabinet lights,but what is the easy way to have them on there own switch.
The cabinet is to be built in an alcove which has a double socket,access to the recessed lights in the same room is easy as floorboards above have been up to install said downlighters and central chandelier,all are in working order and working from one switch.
I appreciate your replys but remember presume i am thick and speak in simple language.
Many thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:09 pm

There is no black and white answer. If as you say you have easy access to ceiling rose then maybe that is best option.
When I walk into a job I weigh up easiest option but can't really do that from here.
Eric

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:23 pm