Cables in concrete floor?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pstrag

Cables in concrete floor?

by pstrag » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Some advice please.
I need to get some more power from the consumer unit in the hall of my flat to the kitchen and would propose to run in 6mm or 10mm cable. I am keen to avoid visible cable or trunking running along the wall of the hall and with the floor being concrete I'm considering channeling down the wall from the consumer unit to the floor and then channeling in the concrete floor to the kitchen a total length of 5 metres ending in another smaller consumer unit. Final floor covering in the hall will be wooden flooring.
Is channeling into a concrete floor a good idea apart from the mess?
I appreciate that I may need a sparky to do the tech bit but would like to save a few quid and do the channeling bit myself if it's an acceptable idea. I did discuss with a sparky who gave me mixed messages, I think he thought I was asking him to do the channeling and he wasn't keen but didn't say "you can't do that in a concrete floor" Im not sure.
Any advice please thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi would IMO be OK if put through 'earthed metalic covering' ie 25mm conduit but would have to go vert. up to both consumer units to qualify as in 'safe zones' or be in conduit the whole way.
A lot of work, can't it go up under floor above, that would be normal way?
regards SPARX
NB as you say it is all Part P work, so apart from cutting chase all other work would have to be notified to LABC.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 pm

I agree with sparx but would also point out twin and earth does not like going through conduit so all or nothing as singles can't be run without conduit. I have seen SWA used. Not sure as to if that complies but quite common in factories although often it is through plastic pipe seems one heck of a lot of work are you sure theres not a better route?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:59 pm