CALLING ERICMARK
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

CALLING ERICMARK

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:59 pm

ERICMARK

Thank you for deciding 2 stay on and advise this website
forum AT D.I.Y DOCTOR .
WELL DONE.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:07 pm

It is always hard working out what and how to say things and I know I have made some errors. I have seen what an apprentice can do!
Best I saw was my father-in-law also electrical engineer told a guy to spike a HV cable before trying to remove it and my father-in-law was thinking of the special spiking units which you put around the cable retire to safe distance and push button.
He arrives on site to find the guy with a jack hammer spike about hit it with a lump hammer he nearly had kittens and was very careful after to stipulate a propriety spiking machine.
It was only 3.3KV but think survival chances would have been low had the cable been live.
Eric

bcoltman
Labourer
Labourer

spiking ht cables

by bcoltman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:12 pm

[quote="ericmark"]It is always hard working out what and how to say things and I know I have made some errors. I have seen what an apprentice can do!
Best I saw was my father-in-law also electrical engineer told a guy to spike a HV cable before trying to remove it and my father-in-law was thinking of the special spiking units which you put around the cable retire to safe distance and push button.
He arrives on site to find the guy with a jack hammer spike about hit it with a lump hammer he nearly had kittens and was very careful after to stipulate a propriety spiking machine.
It was only 3.3KV but think survival chances would have been low had the cable been live.
Eric[/quote]
This reminds me of a time when working in shipyards. We needed to remove a 6kv cable and didn't know where it was fed from. Along comes foreman with gloves goggles and marlin spike and knocked it into cable with 2lb hammer.Needless to say me and mate retired to a safe distance when he knocked spike in to cable. Luckily cable was dead and when he pulled it out he examined spike and pointed out the copper coating on it from the cable and said 'it's dead. Lucky for him that it was.[/quote] :oops: 8)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:43 am