Can a Cavity Tray be installed after a conservatory is built
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arttay10
Labourer
Labourer

by arttay10 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 pm

HI All :(

Thanks to the recent downpours - that are still going on
I've noticed damp patches showing through the house wall on our conservatory which was built in Summer.
Looking at the patches and their locatins - and the neighbours house:
The patches are right where the weap vents are.
A 'National' Conservatory company built and installed the conservatory which I told have just gone bust :cry:

Speaking with people - a cavity tray is what I need - can one be installed now the Conservatory has been built ??

Many thanks.

Mike Luff
Labourer
Labourer

by Mike Luff » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:35 pm

:roll: Hi arttay sorry this is not your answer you are awaiting, but I also have a damp problem having had a lean-to with cavity brick ends erected by an existing 'reputable' well known company. Now the shock here is that I was assured by this company that cavity trays were not required :shock: They inserted the lead flashing to a depth half that of the width of the brick; nicely tiered up the pitch at each end. So come on you experts let's here the solution.
I've been battling with my supplier/erector for over a year now.

And please can one of you experts explain why 'reputable' or not conservatory companies choose to ignore what I understand to be basic building practice that of dealing with the water issue positively instead of leaving it to chance?

Looking forward to any answers.

arttay10
Labourer
Labourer

by arttay10 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:18 pm

:shock:
Another with the same sort of problem......

Come on guys shed some light on what can be done..... please!!

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes they can!, But, it means taking the conservatory roof off!
Its a very expensive messy project.
However, the problem is the rain beating against the wall above the conservatory and, due to the excellent process of bricklaying,blowing through the gaps in the mortar and running down the inside of the outer brickwork.
Solution, you need a waterproof, windproof cladding on the wall above the conservatory.
If you didn't take advantage of the regulations that say part of a conservatory roof can be solid and you didn't consider the possible maintenance that might be necessary to the guttering or wall above the conservatory then, to do this, you will probably still need to dismantle some of the conservatory roof.
Having said all that, its a relatively simple job, you can probably do it yourself.

arttay10
Labourer
Labourer

by arttay10 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 am

I had no idea about any regulations relating to the roof being partly solid - and we was never informed of this by the Conservatory Company either -

Looks like I got well stitched up !! :evil:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:38 pm