Can hot water cylinder/tank go downstairs ?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
parkerc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can hot water cylinder/tank go downstairs ?

by parkerc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm

I have a hot water cylinder/tank in a cupboard upstairs, but with storage limted and a planned loft conversion in mind. Can the hotwater tank/cylinder go downstairs on the ground floor where it woud be next to the boiler ?

(The boiler is in an attached outhouse..)

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 pm

It could be moved to downstairs - if it was situated above the boiler and above all hot water taps.

This means the bathroom etc would all be downstairs, you will notice a difference in the water flow from hot taps too.

If going to the hassle of moving a tank and re-routing pipes why not install a combi boiler ? then it can feed taps both above and below the boiler.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:40 pm

yes but you have to bear in mind that if the hot taps to any appliance are higher then the cylinder then the water coming out from the tank is now working its way upwards against gravity and you will probarly need a pump fitting to boost it

parkerc
Apprentice
Apprentice

by parkerc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback , so it seems I can move it downstairs but I would need a pump (which would in reality need to feed anything upstairs)
Any suggestions on a pump to use ?

Also if the house has 2 bathrooms my guess is that a Combi would not be the best solution for a busy . Or is that an old opinion of Combis have things changed?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:27 pm

you can puchase a pump from screwfix for £90.00 salamander pump 1.5 bar this should do the job

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:27 am