can I add a room thermostat to an existing system....
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdfnenemer
Apprentice
Apprentice

can I add a room thermostat to an existing system....

Post by mdfnenemer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:40 pm

hello all,

I have a vented indirect system running from a Baxi boiler (20 years old and serviced) which heats five radiatiors and the hot water tank. Each Rad has a TRV which to me are either on (extremely hot), medium (extremely hot), low (extremely hot) or off (obviously cold). So even when the boiler is set to it's minimum (1), and the system has been on for a couple of hours the house is like a sauna, so then I can either open the patio which isn't ideal or turn the heating off again not ideal.....So my question is....can I install a wall mounted thermostat which can automatically switch the heating on and offf.....or is there another solution...please help..many thanks

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 pm

Last edited by The Heating Doctor on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:36 pm

Yes you can but you need to add a motorised vavle

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes you can add a room thermostat, and there's no need to add a motorised valve, on gravity hot water systems the only difference between the hot water and central heating setting is that when the heating is on - the pump runs.

You need to wire the room thermostat into the programmer so that it interrupts/makes the circuit for the pump.

If you're not sure what to do, it's best to get a heating engineer/electrician to take a look. (Not sure about all, but I know many electricians either haven't got a clue when it comes to heating systems or they don't like them)

Fitting a radio frequency room thermostat iss probably the best bet - the receiver is hard wired into the system and the actual thermostat can be placed anywhere in the house (within range)

Not sure about all, but I know many electricians that haven't got a clue when it comes to heating systems.

mdfnenemer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mdfnenemer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:34 pm

Is this a part I can buy off the shelf and maybe fit, together with the room thermostat or is this maybe to much of a job for the keen amateur. thanks for your time.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:53 pm

yes these items are off the shelf at plumbers merchants. As for DIY if you can identify where the valve should go and you are a competant in electrics thats ok. If you think you will struggle call in the trades guys.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1