Can I build?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
T Morris
Labourer
Labourer

Can I build?

by T Morris » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi I have an old Train carriage that has been insitu for in excess of 30 years. Do I have to apply for a licence of lawfulness (if they still do them) or do I just build?

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 pm

i assume when you say build you mean turn it into a spare room?

i believe that it would be classed as change of use if you convert into habitable accomodation Ie. has a sink (kitchen) and bathroom.

if it was made into a 'summer house' i would have thought it ok. bit of a tuff one really. At a guess i think it would be classed as an outhouse.

best to call the local planners and find out

no help at all. sorry

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Build what - a track?

Cheers

T Morris
Labourer
Labourer

by T Morris » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:11 am

Sorry, new to the forum :oops:

I have 8 acres of land and it has had a train carriage on it for over 30 years. The council have tried to get me to move it by trying to have it in the planning negotiaitions for a barn which I hope to get the decision for very soon (after nearly 3 years consultation with the LA).

I want to build an 'office' fo the farm shop which I hope to have in the next 12 months.

The question is really as the train carriage has been on site and not moved for over a certain period of time, I have been told that I can apply for a licence of lawfulness - but I can't find anything in relation to this licence on the Planning portal or the local authority website forms.

Does that explain it a little more? I could go on for hours and hours but I won't bore you all.

Thanks for reading and responding.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1