Can I Create a Spur from an Isolated Socket?

Postby barlzy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Hello

Is it possible to spur from an isolated socket? I have a socket right in the middle of the wall which has a switch 5 feet away for an electric fire. socket would be ideal to spur from for my TV on the wall as I could fish straight down to it. Not sure of the regs please advise. I am aware that the socket would also be isolated by the switch.

Thanks.
barlzy
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm

We have radials, ring finals and spurs and the rules vary according to how that socket is fed.

I would expect if you swapped the switch for a switched fuse connection unit then you can likely add as many sockets as you like.

But can't be a 100% without further information. It may not need a FCU but I would say with a FCU you are safe.
ericmark

Postby ericmark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:37 pm

I missed any new cable buried in the wall or new sockets need RCD protection. You can get RCD FCU but it all depends what you have to start with.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!