Can I use a cavity lintel
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Holywood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I use a cavity lintel

by Holywood » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:22 pm

I have bought a heavy duty cavity lintel to comply with the approved plans for insertion of a beam to cover a wide opening we will be cutting into a load bearing wall. It will carry some of the loft joists. A builder who I had in to give me a price for cutting out and installing the beam says that it is the wrong type and that an RSJ is more suitable. He thinks it would not be possible to "slip" the beam in under the jacked up joists as it is for a cavity taking blocks on both "wings" of the lintel.

Should it not be possible to jack the joists up as usual, put in this cavity lintel and then lay a course of block along its length on both "wings" before removing the jacks (after the cement has dried on the blocks)? Would 1 course of blocks on the cavity lintel be enough to spread the weight along the lintel? Would it work if a wall plate was placed over the blocks before the joists were lowered?

Thanks for any help as I can't return the lintel.

property man
Apprentice
Apprentice

by property man » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 am

He is right a RSJ is better also you will need calcs for the steel as you cannot just use any

Holywood
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Holywood » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm