Can someone please confirm the IP rating required?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Can someone please confirm the IP rating required?

by prbaxter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm having an extractor fan fitted high on the wall above the bath. It is at the opposite end of the bath to the shower.

I am looking at the low voltage extractor fans, and having the transformer in the loft connected to the light switch - with the intention of it coming on with the light and the remaining on for a couple of minutes after the light goes off.

I have seen a few SELV extractor fans on screwfix and ebay. Most of the ones I like are IP44. Will this be enough?

I've also seen IPX4 - no idea what this means...

Any advice appreiated.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 pm

IP44 means
(a) Protection against contact by tools, wires or suchlike more than 1.0 mm thick
(b) Protection against solid foreign objects of 1.0 mm diameter and greater
Protected against water splashing from any direction
(a) and (b) refer to first 4 in IP44
IPX4 only refers to Protection of equipment against ingress of water and would be “Protected against water splashing from any directionâ€

prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

by prbaxter » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:15 pm

thats just what I needed thank you.

I have a sparky coming to do the work, or at least to connect the transformer to the lighting circuit, but i will be fitting the fan to the wall as I need to tile and what not after the sparky has done his bits and pieces.

But i needed to buy the fan first.

I've order the IP44 from Screwfix.

Many thanks,
Paul.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 am