Can standard breeze block be use for supporting wall?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wr_uk
Labourer
Labourer

Can standard breeze block be use for supporting wall?

by wr_uk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm about to have an internal door way on the ground floor of my house blocked up. The doorway sits along side another doorway separated only by a column bricks width. Both doorways have the original lintels that share and sit on top this column of bricks. This all should be fine as this is the original how it was originally.

The wall above the doorway I want to block up looks like a supporting wall, it runs from the top of the doorway right up to the ceiling upstairs.

My builder mentioned breeze block (standard breeze block). I question if it should be brick as I thought breeze block might not be strong enough to carry the weight but he said breeze block will be fine.

I've used the same builder a couple of times before for structural work and his work has been spot on and he also has a good reputation for quality work.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing but I wondered if this is normal practice, meets building regs and will structurally sound.

I'm not 100% sure and I need to check tomorrow but, I've just had the house rewired and where they chases the electrics in I could have swore I saw breeze block. I need to double check but the existing wall may already be breeze block.

Any feedback is very much appreciated!!

Thanks

wr_uk
Labourer
Labourer

by wr_uk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:47 am

I checked this morning and the existing wall above the doorway that runs all the way up to the ceiling upstairs is made from breeze block.

I also checked with the builder merchants and they do supply load bearing breeze block.

So.. to be on the safe side is it better I get the load bearing breeze block?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 pm