Can't find Switch for Outside Light in Alley by Property
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RipGroove
Labourer
Labourer

Can't find Switch for Outside Light in Alley by Property

Post by RipGroove » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:56 pm

My house has two outdoor lights, one by the front door and one in a side alley way. Ever since I've lived here (just over a year) the outside light by the front door has been controlled by a double light switch in the hallway (the left switch controls the outside light, the right switch controls the interior hallway light), but the outside light in the alley way has never worked, it was a bit beat up so I just figured that that was why. So I bought a new light today and installed it in the alley way BUT I don't know where it's wired to?! I assumed it would have been wired to the same switch as the other outside light but it's not working so maybe it's not?!

Is there a way I can figure out where it's wired to? I did pull the double switch off the wall earlier to see how many wires were wired to it (I will post a photo here tomorrow) and it looks like there are 4 pairs of wires even though all the switch seems to do is power one inside light and one outside light? Also there are a few blue wires coming out of the wall behind the switch that aren't actually connected to anything, they all just go into the same connector block that isn't attached to anything, it just sits there behind the switch.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can't find Switch for Outside Light in Alley by Property

Post by ericmark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:41 pm

I would be looking for a PIR which would auto switch on the light.

RipGroove
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can't find Switch for Outside Light in Alley by Property

Post by RipGroove » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks, definitely no PIR anywhere. FYI the lights are lantern style that already have PIR sensors built in.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm