can't remove old portable tv bracket - any suggestions?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
omclean
Labourer
Labourer

can't remove old portable tv bracket - any suggestions?

by omclean » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:04 pm

just moved into 1950s house - already extended etc. there's a really solid bracket screwed half way up the bedroom wall (old portable TV stand). the wall is an outside wall so not plasterboard. I got one screw out (because it had snapped). I'm guessing the remaining three are each about 12cm long. the screws are flush with the bracket and the bracket is about 1cm deep and 30 cm long. I have tried removing the other three screws but cannot budge them at all. They are totally solid.

Any suggestions please?

Someone mentioned getting a tool that works nearly like a cork screw but the builders suppliers I called into hadn't a clue what I was talking about.

this tv bracket is total eyesore! please help!

halfpennyacre
Labourer
Labourer

by halfpennyacre » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Dear Omclean,
The tool you want is an "impact screwdriver". Available at any motor factors.

Gordo
Labourer
Labourer

TV Bracket

by Gordo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:25 pm

The impact driver might work but it's along shot. Try that first - at the very worst it may snap the other screws. If that fails you need to drill the heads off the screws. It sounds like they are countersunk screws so here's how:

Start with a quality SHARP (buy new if in doubt) drill bit which is about the same size as the shank of the screw (about half the diameter of the screw head). If you use too small a bit it will catch in the slot and break. Drill slowly until the head of the screw is cut from the shank of the screw. This will leave the screw in the wall but allow the bracket to be removed.

P.S. The corkscrew like tool you refer to is called an "easy-out" and is a left hand threaded tapered steel screw which is inserted into a pre-drilled hole in the ols screw and (hopefully) removes it. I ahve used these and they are quite difficult to use and require precise drilling of a pilot hole.

Good luck.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:27 am