cavity wall ties

Postby lizbyfield » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:48 am

I live in a mid-terrace ex-council house. The local authority recently employed a local company to replace the cavity wall ties in their properties surrounding mine. The company says if I want mine doing it will cost about £5,500, bearing in mind they haven't actually surveyed my house to see if mine are corroded.
Will my house fall down if I don't get it done as I can't afford that amount?
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:41 am


Simply Build It

Postby mikric » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Unless you have any major concerns regarding cracks etc with your property try not to worry about it, if you do have concerns get your own independant survey done first , dont let anyone frighten you into any work on your house. :wink:
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Postby loomo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:36 pm

if your neighbours are getting it done either side of you then don't worry to much about it(especially if the terrace is in a straight line) have a look round your window's and see if it look's like there is lateral movement. obviously on the outside where the window meets the brickwork but don't confuse movement with old silicone/mastic that has came to the end of it's lifespan as it usually dries up and cracks.
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:50 am

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Site Admin
Posts: 1385
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics