Ceiling fan/light CFL bulbs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ChrisSa
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling fan/light CFL bulbs

Post by ChrisSa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 am

I recently changed the bulbs in my Dining Room ceiling light/fan to CFLs. To start with everything was OK. Then problems started developing and the lights would only come on if the fan was on. Now neither the lights or fan works, even when I put the old incandescent bulbs back in. Weirdly, problems have occurred elsewhere on the lighting circuit - the fluorescent tube in the garage has stopped working, and most bizarrely the LEDs in the study light are slightly on all the time, even when the switch is off! Other rooms on the same circuit (lounge and utility) are working OK.

My first suspicion is that something in the ceiling fan has blown. Any ideas?

ChrisSa
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ChrisSa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Update,

The dining room and study are running 20 volts on the socket regardless of whether the light switch is on or off!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Whilst the fan/light seems the obvious culprit it ain't necessarily so. Although I'm not a sparks I suspect an earth problem. You could try switching off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit and completely disconnecting (line, live and earth) the ceiling light/fan in question. Make cables safe then switch on lighting circuit again. If your garage and study light now work fine then its almost certainly the light/fan fitting.

If not then my suspicion is that you need to get a sparky round to do a Periodic Inspection Report on the whole system. Cost about £ 120 and will involve fully testing whole system. It is recommended by TPTB that one of these is done on each property at an interval no greater than every ten years.

Cheers

jennyfan
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jennyfan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:30 pm

It looks like you have connected your fan into wrong wires. You should call your electrical technician to check and rewire your ceiling fan and some other needs to rewire.
Last edited by jennyfan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm

sounds like a loose neutral connection at fan/light.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:48 pm