ceiling fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

ceiling fan

by dave6953 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:02 pm

I have fitted a ceiling fan and cannot switch the light off, the fan has 1red 1 brown, 1 blue and an earth wire, I connected brown to live(black wire with tag on) blue to the remaining black wires, red to the red wires and the earth wire connected to earth. the wall switch has 2 red wires connected to the L1 and black to comm.I have fitted ceiling fans a couple of times and there was no problem.please can someone help me.thank you.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm

I know this doesn't answer your question:

Do you have an open flue boiler or a gas fire ? in the room you have fitted the ceiling fan ? if so you need to get the appliance(s) checked before using the fan.

Ceiling fans can effect the flue and pull products of combustion back into the room.

htg

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

ceiling fan

by TOPSPARK » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi dave
what has happened here is you have cross connected the switch wires you need to take the brown wire and connect it in with the red wires.The black wire with tag on connect to the brown on the connectors block on the light fitting. then the blues all together and the earths together and this should allow you to switch the light off.Also take the switch off the wall and see what colour wires are there and this will help you when connecting the light up.
all the best
Topspark

dave6953
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dave6953 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm

hi topspark, I did what you said and the light did switch on and off but the fan would not switch off then, so what I did was to connect the red and brown wires from the fan/light to the live (the black wire with the tag on ) and they worked perfectly so with your help I was able to work out the problem. thank you and htg engineer so much for the help you both gave me I really appreciate it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 pm