Ceiling insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oldmill
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling insulation

by Oldmill » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 pm

We live in a very old cottage in Scotland. There was little or no insulation when we moved in.

I need to insulate between the ceiling joists above the bedroom. There are also furry guests scuttling about that I need to evict. I can’t access the space from the first floor above because the floorboards are very securely fixed and partially extend beyond my reach.

I need to pull down (some?) of the plasterboard ceiling to insulate. Do I need to pull the whole ceiling down to fit a Waterproof membrane? This old cottage is well ventilated (!) & we have no central heating.

Any help would be appreciated

John

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

insulate

by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:02 pm

you can screw 2x1 or 2x2 battens to the ceiling joists and insulate between, then plasterboard.This will eliminate the mess of taking down the old ceiling.

Oldmill
Labourer
Labourer

Re: insulate

by Oldmill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for that. Would you bother installing the waterproof membrane. The cottage is very old and it seems daft given the general permeability of the building?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp proof membrane

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:16 am

theres no point installing it..

Kaypatel
Labourer
Labourer

by Kaypatel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:59 pm

welsh brickie wrote:you can screw 2x1 or 2x2 battens to the ceiling joists and insulate between, then plasterboard.This will eliminate the mess of taking down the old ceiling.

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
We also live in Scotland ..
Can you have a gap between the plasterboard and the insulation? And how do you seal the insulation against the rafters ?

cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 pm

[quote="Kaypatel"][quote="welsh brickie"]you can screw 2x1 or 2x2 battens to the ceiling joists and insulate between, then plasterboard.This will eliminate the mess of taking down the old ceiling.[/quote]

Hi

Thanks for the advice.
We also live in Scotland ..
Can you have a gap between the plasterboard and the insulation? And how do you seal the insulation against the rafters ?

cheers[/quote]

Cut the insulation tight against the timber and no gap is required

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm