Ceiling Light Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
compbck
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Light Problem

by compbck » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:30 am

I am currently replacing a ceiling light which has three connections earth, live and neutral.

The cables coming from the ceiling comprise of 2 RED (attached to one block), 2 BLACK (attached to another single block, but connected separately) and 2 EARTH.

When connecting the lamp unit I can achieve either of the following:

1. No response at all when the switch is switch on/off.

2. When the mains are turned back on the light comes on, but the switch does not operate or control the light.

Could anyone assist with this wiring configuaration please.

Regards,

Brian King

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Please go to the project called replacing a light fitting it is all explained there.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:22 pm

In case you can't work it out from light fitting project...........
the two reds do not connect to your fitting.
the two blacks go to the fitting one should be marked red as it is the switched live back from switch and goes to brown of light, blue of light goes to black
SPARX

Don
Labourer
Labourer

by Don » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm

OK. I have exactly the same problem.
The Project notes suggest that I will have three cables from the ceiling - but I only have two.
I'm fitting a new strip light in the kitchen.
There is only one junction box in the new fitting. What do I do with the four wires - I know where the Earth wires go!

Don
Labourer
Labourer

by Don » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Further to my previous note. I do hope I'm not being thick about this. The new fitting only has one terminal block. This has one L, one N and a position for Earth. There are no other terminal blocks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:20 pm

for Don
the two twin plus earth cables you have are :
two earths as you know , which should have grn/yel.
sleeving and go to earth term. in 3way term .block
you need another block to take the two red cores which do not connect to the light at all they are the incoming live which then goes to the switch the other two black wires go to L& N in the term. block in the fitting, one of the wires is neutral the other is the switched live back from the switch which should be marked as a red but often is not.
the light will work either way round with L& N reversed, but try to find which is switch wire and mark it red and put it in L term.
SPARX

Don
Labourer
Labourer

by Don » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks Sparks.
This is a bit alien to a bloke who normally only changes a plug!
To double check. I have one L,N,E block. The two black cables go into the L & the N terminals. I need to buy another terminal block to house the red cables - which will be connected to nothing but the terminal block?

Don
Labourer
Labourer

by Don » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:17 am

Thank you Sparx.
It would never have occured to me to put a black cable into a live terminal. I don't think I know it all now - but I do know where to look. This is a really super service.

jadakaz
Labourer
Labourer

by jadakaz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Can anyone help?
I am fitting 2 sets of quad bar spotlights and I am having a problem
with the wiring?
I have one set working, the other set has 2 neutral (black), 3 live (red) and 2 earths. One of the lives has voltage going through it but the other 2 have not. I have tried different combinations of the reds but no joy!!
I have wired up the other light as such
1 neutral (black live switch) to brown
2 neutral (black) to blue
3 earths as standard
3 lives together on last space in terminal block
This works perfectly. It is the other light I am now having problems with the one mentioned above.
I am at wits end, please help!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 am

your numbers don't add up!
if u have three reds u must have three blacks & hopefully 3 earths....
it should be as other light check the other cores haven't been left above ceiling.

gfitz45
Labourer
Labourer

edwardian house, red and black wires

by gfitz45 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:02 pm

i have an old house, about 100 years in age. ceiling wires are just black and red. Having never wired anything before I was assuming the black was a neutral and the red was a live. I bought a 4 light bracket for the kitchen - this had a brown (live) and blue (neutral). I connected the brown to red and the black to blue using a small junction/ wire joiner. It worked for a while then something blew. Now i'm not so sure i connected this right. can you help?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Your connections were right but maybe a wire 'escaped' after a while, or did a fixing screw catch a wire? regards SPARX

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:37 am