Ceiling Problems
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Scaz39
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Problems

Post by Scaz39 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 am

Hi this is my first post. I have recently moved into a 1950's house. Unfortunately it seems that the previous occupants had a leak in the loft and there was damage to the ceilings in two bedrooms. On closer inpection, the ceiling has been replaced by hardboard rather than plasterboard. Is this contrary to building regs? I am under the impression that the ceiling should be made of a non/low combustable material.

I am also somewhat surprised that this was not identified during the survey process. Can someone please offer some advise.
Paul

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Ceiling Problems

Post by kbrownie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:39 pm

[quote="Scaz39"]Hi this is my first post. I have recently moved into a 1950's house. Unfortunately it seems that the previous occupants had a leak in the loft and there was damage to the ceilings in two bedrooms. On closer inpection, the ceiling has been replaced by hardboard rather than plasterboard. Is this contrary to building regs? I am under the impression that the ceiling should be made of a non/low combustable material.

I am also somewhat surprised that this was not identified during the survey process. Can someone please offer some advise.
Paul[/quote]

Hi Paul, may I offer some friendly words of advise?
I'm not sure what building regs require as far as the work done. it may depend on when it was done! If you are unsure contact them or your locaL Fire Officer they are approachable.
The survey let you down, you would hope they would pick up on water damage, but it is unlikely that you would get any joy if you complained but complain anyway.
Now then to the problem, safety first as they say, not only do you want to prevent fire you want to prevent the spread of fire and fumes. Remove the boards and board with plasterboard (you maybe able to board over the exsisting hard board, again contact Fire Officer) You could put fire boards up alittle more money but not that much.
Sorry not able to quote regs but i'm sure, like I said depending when the work was done. Your right.
Hope this was of help.
KB

Scaz39
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Problems

Post by Scaz39 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:49 am

Hi KB

Many thanks for you reply. As you say, safety is the first priority. I'll speak to the local Fire Officer.

Rgds

Paul

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:00 pm