ceiling re board paint or plaster first?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STEVEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

ceiling re board paint or plaster first?

by STEVEH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 pm

My ceiling in my bathroom is rough , what im going to reboard the old ceiling leaving the old boards up and just putting new plaster board ontop
but im not sure if i need to get it plastered afterwards because of the steam?
or can i just fill the gaps and paint the new boards? will this be ok in a bathroom?

can anyone help? :?

Did it myself
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Did it myself » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:24 pm

I've just reboarded and plastered my bathroom ceiling (previously rough/artex style). I'm not a professional but I would think your boards will need plastering. Plaster board doesn't like moisture and its rigidity will be compromised I would think? It's worth getting it skimmed. Alternatively, There may be a different type of board to use if you plan to paint it... does anyone know this?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi, you can do it twos, overboard and plaster or overboard and joint tape, the first option is well know to most DIYers but the second not so, ideally you'd use tapered edged boards generally 8x4 foot (2400x1200) but not a problem with square edges on ceilings. You boards on ceiling should have staggered joints, much like if you was building a brick or block wall.
Then you can either use the paper tape or nylon self adhesive scrim, the later is best for novices. Then apply these on joints, fill out with joint compound (sometimes called joint Cement) about 4 inch on joint. First application is really to get tapes flat and stuck to ceiling, then leave to dry gentle sand down and repeat this another two times broadening the width of the application on each occasion. Then sand down agian so nice and smooth and even. This will also need to be done in the angles between ceiling and wall. Then prime ceiling and use a paint that is suitable for bathrooms. If you use paper tapes the tape or joint should have compound applied before sticking it on.
KB
KB

ricky68
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ricky68 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 pm

u dont put joint cement on for you 1st coat you need joint filler then 2 coats of joint cement.or you can use easy fill all over ;2 coats

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:29 am