Ceiling Rose - Loop in circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
listie
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose - Loop in circuit

by listie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Hello all, sorry for the no doubt heard it all befor question but this is doing my head in.

Tyring to change a ceiling rose to a 3 spot light unit in my son's room, did the usual pulled the wires out with no thought as to what went where !!

I have 3 grey cables from the ceiling each with a red black green.

I think I have magaged to locate the switched wire using a meter, my question is the new unit has a plastic block with L E N and a spare one, I am not 100% sure where all the wires go, can anyone help

thanks in advance

Si

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:46 pm

See our projects section. There are a number of projects in there which wioll help you identify where the wires from lights go. Changing a light fitting is one

listie
Labourer
Labourer

by listie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for replying so quick, I have been through the projects sections, but still not 100 %

I'm thinking the following
3 earth cables into the earth on the new fitting
2 black (neut) into the Neut on the new fitting
The black switched wire into the Live on the new fitting

the 3 red cables i'm stuck on !

sparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:27 pm

ok mark the black on switch wire with red sleeve or tape,connect all reds to gether in the spare terminal ,then all greens these should be green and yellow ,solid green is the old colour and no longer complies with regs,these connect to the E terminal ,the blacks go to the N terminal ,and the one you should have marked with tape (switch wire) goes to the L terminal, this should have a minor works certificate because you have carried out work on the circuit and you need to confirm your continuity of the earth.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi Listie, just put the 3 reds in the spare term thoughtfully provided for the purpose,
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:37 am