Ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave3012
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling rose

by dave3012 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:08 am

I am trying to change the ceiling rose in the bedroom, i wrote the way the wire were connected down but have missed laid it.
I have 4 black wires, 4 red and an earth, one red is live and three of the black wires are coonected together, i tried to wire up bt rembering however when i turn the light swith on i blow the swith and the fuse and all the upstairs light. i have disconnected the switch and taken the wires out of the new light fitting. I now have upstairs light. How do i re connent the ne celing rose? :oops:

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Ceiling rose

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:09 am

[quote="dave3012"]I am trying to change the ceiling rose in the bedroom, i wrote the way the wire were connected down but have missed laid it.
I have 4 black wires, 4 red and an earth, one red is live and three of the black wires are coonected together, i tried to wire up bt rembering however when i turn the light swith on i blow the swith and the fuse and all the upstairs light. i have disconnected the switch and taken the wires out of the new light fitting. I now have upstairs light. How do i re connent the ne celing rose? :oops:[/quote]

DAVE3012
SOUNDS like u have put a live to neutral across the switch
and caused a dead short.
Try the projects section on this site with lighting , diagrams
will help u very much.
get in AN ELECTRICIAN to help u.

BLAKEY1963

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 pm

All 4 reds go in a block together. These do not get fitted to either of the wires on the light fitting. Look for a block labelled loop in the ceiling rose and put them here.

The three black wires that were together will be the neutral. Wire these into the terminal that will connect to the blue neutral wire of the light fitting.

The remaining black wire is the switched live. Technically this should have a red sleeve or bit tape on it to indicate that its not a neutral but its often fallen off or was never put on. Wire this to the terminal that has the brown live wire of the fitting connected to it.

Hopefully you will have a 4th block that you can use for any earth wires too.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm