celing leak
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rnd
Tradesman
Tradesman

celing leak

by rnd » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:41 pm

hi all

i have just had a bad leak from my loft , and has ruined half my bedroom celing. the thing is the good half of the celing is painted with textured paint , so my point is i will pull down the bad half of the celing , re-board the damaged area and re skim the hole celing,

But by doing this will the good area covered with textured paint give a different looking finish than the finish that will go straight on to the new boards when skimed only i dont want half the celing looking different to the other half if you can understand what i am getting at.

thanks all

rnd

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:09 pm

how big is the ceiling, messy job ripping ceilings down.
Have you thought about over boarding the lot?
KB

rnd
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rnd » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 am

hi k. brownie

to be totaly honest with you ive not realy looked in to over boarding as i thought it would be more cost affective just to do the bad half as it would only take 3 or so boards to do the above.

but if iam being honest with myself i want to avoid over boarding the whole celing as i would have to go around the light with a fan attached which worries me a little, as iam olny a amature at this kind of work.

kind regards

rnd

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 pm

I can understand your worries, I find it much easier and less mess to overboard and as I know a bit about electrics removing fitting does not bother me, but no problem removing part of ceiling it's a case of locating convenient joists, and remove the ceiling boards from that point. Remember new boards need to be recessed/stepped back a few mms so it leaves enough area for you to apply plaster flush with the other half of ceiling as for decoration not sure about different tones of finish as paint batches can not always be relied on, and the age of the paint already applied will also effect any differences in tones. Might just have to do the whole again.
Good Luck with project, if you have any problems i'm usually about
KB

rnd
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rnd » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am

hi kbrownie

i think i will go with the 3 boards and re-skim, and then get back to you when i mess it up.
but once again thank you so much for your advice i really do value it
many thanks again

kind regards

rnd

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:36 am