Cental heating/hot water problems.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rayo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cental heating/hot water problems.

by Rayo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi all.
I've scoured the current threads to see if there is a comparible problem to mine , but to no avail.
I have 4 radiators upstairs and 3 downstairs. The end of the run being in the kitchen.
The kitchen radiator was the first to have a problem. It doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the others and takes an eternity to get as hot as it does.
I've tried bleeding it but there appeared to be no airlock in the rad itself.
In addition to that my hot water has been scalding hot.

The 4 upstairs rads are fine but now the other 2 downsatairs rads are not as hot as they were and if I put my heating to 'hot water only' my radiators still all come on.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

MB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MB » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Rayo , it sounds like your rad's may need balancing. If you turn all the valves on all the rads off then turn them all back on opening them all the same amount Ie half a turn on each valve then this may balance the rads for you. As far as the rads coming on when just hw is selected it sounds like a motorised valve is faulty.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 am

Has anyone altered the lock shield valves? Could be pump as upstairs will thermo-siphon. But there are many central heating systems open/closed, Y, C, W and S plan. Combo and storage tanks with pumps for all and with pumps for only central heating and with different types of motorized valves. Two port and three port change over and with center position.
I will guess not combo system but with so little info it is like asking how long is a piece of string.
If it is the pump could you change it? If not you may as well bite the bullet and call in someone now rather than get cold while tiring to work out the problem which you can't fix anyway.
If it is lock shield valves then maybe you can fix it but since you say up-stairs is OK with the very little you have told us it looks more like the pump.

Rayo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rayo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 am

[quote="MB"]Hi Rayo , it sounds like your rad's may need balancing. If you turn all the valves on all the rads off then turn them all back on opening them all the same amount Ie half a turn on each valve then this may balance the rads for you. As far as the rads coming on when just hw is selected it sounds like a motorised valve is faulty.[/quote]

Cheers ,
I'll try that tip about balancing the rads.
Is the motorised valve in the pump.

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:29 am

the problem is likely to be the mid position valve and or pump failure.Check your cylinder stat to make sure it has not been moved to too high atemperature. Check the state of your top up cistern in the loft... heavy debris, bacteria or other debris may give an indication to the cause of the problem. A PARTIAL BLOCKAGE IN THE PIPEWORK , IN PARTICULAR WITH MICROBORE MANIFOLDS IS COMMON CAUSE OF SUCH PROBLEMS. Get a corgi registered engineer out to deal with the problem

Rayo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rayo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for all your help and advice......I'll get back on this.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1