cental heating problems

Postby gerry 2013 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:29 am

Hi     I have two problems with my central heating system.1. water seems to be running into the expansion tank from the vent pipe.    I think this is when the system is on "hot water" only?2. The on/off tap on the cold feed to the expansion tank was left closed     at some point and I noticed this when the system became noisy.    However this alerted me to the fact that the header tank seems to    need topping-up on a regular basis is this normal?    and should I now just leave the feed tap on and forget about it?Thanks
gerry 2013
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 pm

The tank should be fed via a ballvalve therefore there should be a constant cold supply and any isolation valves should be left open, the tank will refill itself when the water level drops.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=12601

htg
htg engineer

Postby gerry 2013 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:55 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]The tank should be fed via a ballvalve therefore there should be a constant cold supply and any isolation valves should be left open, the tank will refill itself when the water level drops.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=12601

htg[/quote]

Thanks htg engineer!

I will now leave the feed tap open.

One last point however!
The system seems to lose a small amount of water on an ongoing basis.
Is this normal?

Thanks
gerry 2013
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!