Central heating but no hot water and a cold tank!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
-AbFab-Vincent
Labourer
Labourer

Central heating but no hot water and a cold tank!

by -AbFab-Vincent » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I recently built a new airing cupboard and I had to drain down the central heating, construct the cupboard and then reconnect everything. So far so, good. Filled the system up with water, switched on the pump. Shortly afterwards the radiators were bled and they all heated up nicely.
Problem is that although the radiators were hot the cylinder is cold as are the pipes feeding it.
Also, there is no hot water unless you use the Immersion heater and when you use this there is a large portion of the cylinder (the bottom part) that remains cold.
It seems as if there is a huge airlock of some description.

Any suggestions to remove it, that is if it is an airlock.

Many thanks
Alex

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:29 am

Best way to remove airlock from primaries is to boil it out. This requires removal of the boiler stat - so should be left to an engineer.

htg

-AbFab-Vincent
Labourer
Labourer

by -AbFab-Vincent » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for the prompt reply htg engineer, when the immersion heater is on the cylinder seems to get hotter than usual ( I could be wrong). Is there any harm in heating the water in this way until I get the airlock sorted ?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1