central heating comming on when hot water selected
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kev00
Labourer
Labourer

central heating comming on when hot water selected

by kev00 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:29 am

Hi, hope someone can help when we press the control to select hot water only the central heating radiators come on and get very hot even when the thermostat is turned to zero the boiler is a potterton and the controls are honywell the system is only about 4 years old has any one had this problem before? or got any ideas how to fix.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:09 pm

Sounds like a problem with the actuator or three port valve.

This will be a valve with three pipes going into it, with a morotised valve sitting on the top (near the pump). The motorised valve may need replacing or the valve may be stuck.

Abit of knowledge about plumbing and electrics is required. If you have no idea where it is or how to repair I suggest you get a Heating Engineer out to fix it.

If you feel you are competent and require futher help - i'll watch for your posts

kev00
Labourer
Labourer

by kev00 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 am

i thanks for the reply the little box is in the cistern cupboard i consider myself fairly competent so any advise how to check/repair would be appreciated thanks again kev

kev00
Labourer
Labourer

by kev00 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:33 pm

sorry i forgot to mention its a drayton ma1

kev00
Labourer
Labourer

by kev00 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 pm

hi again decided to have a go on my own when i removed the actuator it was actually rattling and two springs and two lugs fell out i managed to glue one lug and make the other ok with a nut and small screw i have re assembled and every thing is working independantly again :lol: if i do get the same problem again i will replace the actuator about £35 i think thanks again kev

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1