Central Heating Not Working
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

diy-dave
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating Not Working

by diy-dave » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 am

Hi,

My girl friend's had a problem with her central heating for a good few months now. She's had an engineer out a couple of times and on each occasion he's 'tinkered' with it for a bit and says she needs a new boiler. After his tinkering it works for a few weeks then works intermittently, generally when the weather's not too cold. However the hot water is reasonably warm while the radiators are stone cold.

I bled the system a couple of months ago as the radiator in the spare room wasn't working then it was all fine. Also tried turning the thermostat up/down and and hear it click, it's an old mechanical one. The pilot light for the boiler is on though on some occasions there's a smell of gas coming from the bolier - unburned gas? The boiler is housed in an outside cupboard at the front of the house and the hot water tank is downstairs by the front door. It's a reasonably new house, about 10 years old.

Any idea what could be going on?

I'd just like a few other opinions in the hope that forking out for a new boiler is unnecessary.

Thanks.

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:32 am