Central Heating Stopped working??
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harty084
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Stopped working??

by harty084 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 pm

The heating came on yesterday and went off as normal after 2 hours, so I went to put it back on as it was cold but it wouldn't fire up.

I therefore went round the house and bled all the rads as the pipes had been banging recently and got some air out, plus this also made the pipes bang a bit.

So went to restart the boiler and it tries to fire up, then just trips out. I have a full tank of heating oil and have bled the boiler on start up, but it still just trips out. Boiler is a Grant Euroflame 70/90, I have oil in the tank and water in the system.

I have just tried to start it again now, the boiler clicks, the pipes bang a bit, it tries to fire then cuts out. Any suggestions please. A friend has suggested the oil/fuel pump??

Would an airlock cause the boiler not to fire up?

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 pm

A few things to check here. Your friend may be correct with the pump, however, before you go to the expense of replacing this, check there is no air in the pump by slackening the pump vent screw untill oil runs freely with no bubbles. There is a filter inside the pump which should be checked. This is found by removing the 4 screws on the pump body, also check that the on-line filter cartridge is clean, on the oil feed pipework.
The photocell should be checked and proved to be clean and the burner head checked for debris. There is always the possilbility that the control box is faulty and not accepting the photo cell info. An oil pressuer gauge would be required to confirm the pressure at the nozzle which not be less than 100psi.
All the above and more would be checked during a service.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1