Ceramic tiles over vinyl tiles with electric underfloor heat
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevew
Labourer
Labourer

Ceramic tiles over vinyl tiles with electric underfloor heat

by stevew » Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 pm

I want to put ceramic tiles in my kitchen with electic underfloor heating underneath.
The current flooring is ( from the top) Laminate on expanded polyethylene underlay on polyethylene sheet damp course on vinyl tiles on screed on flags ( its an old house).
Ive been advised that one cannot tile on laminate flloring so I want to remove the laminate, put the heating matting on the underlay then ceramic tile adheaasive then tiles. Will this be OK ?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Yes if you want the heating elements to burn their way through the insulation and the polythene sheet and the vinyl tiles in due course.

Even without the underfloor heating the underlay is a totally unsuitable substrate for ceramic tiles. I can't guess how long it will take for them to lift and crack but I'll wager it won't be long. So you have to go down another layer.

Some peeps say it's OK to tile over vinyl others say not. They have to be well attached though and for me I'd say not and get 'em all up.

Look at this link in the Projects Section.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/la ... _coverings

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:23 am