Ceramic tiling over vinyl tiles?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tcwh1971
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tcwh1971 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi,
I've recently decided to redo my bathroom floor with ceramic tiles. Originally I did the floor with vinyl tiles purely due to the fact it was cheaper and easier to do. The bathroom is rather small and only needs approximately 24 tiles at 33cm square with 9 of them being full size (uncut). the rest being cut in half and to size. when I laid the vinly tiles I laid down plywood then coated with a sealant, then laid the vinyl tiles over that.

I would like to know how I can best do this. To save time and effort can I lay ceramic tiles over vinyl tiles to save me taking them up? If so, how should I prep the vinyl tiles? Also, can I cut curves as well as straight into ceramic tiles? I am unable to lift the toilet base from the floor and the pedestal is also not moveable hence the question about cutting curves. finally, do I need to be concerned about floor weight?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 pm

tcwh1971,
Stick with more vinyl tiles or sheet vinyl. Fitting ceramic tiles will be a nightmare.
end

tcwh1971
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tcwh1971 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, if rather vague. Can you at least tell me why think it woul dbe a nightmare? Taking of the vinyl tiles is an option surely? It's not that tricky a task, I don't think. Underneath is a plywood that I coated with a special sealant so if I took the vinyl tiles off I would be left with that. An ideal base for the ceramic tiles perhaps?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 pm

tcwh1971,
The ply used is probably 6mm, this will not form a sound enough base for ceramic tiling because it will be flexible. You will probably have to remove this and fit 18mm ply, add the depth of the tiles and you will raise the floor by 25mm+ hence nightmare.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:50 am