Certification of electrics

Postby leicesterweb » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:32 am

I have recently had an electrician friend (who works for a large commcerial organisation as a professional electrician but is not registered to certificate domestic electric installations) to run four double sockets and from the existing power supply in my old garage.

I am converting the garage into a home office and have been working with the local council planning officers on this project. I know I need to get the electrics certificated to comply with regulations before I can get the completion certificate from the council.

How much should I be paying for a registered electrician to come and certificate the electrics my friend has put in. I am very confident in the work he has done so I cannot imagine it would take too long to check and certificate the work.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 am


Simply Build It

Postby Kristof » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:14 pm

Electrical Safety Certificate for a new circuit can only be issued by the person actually doing the work. By the way, did your friend extended the existing circuit or put a new radial circuit in?
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Postby leicesterweb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:38 am

The four double sockets were run off the existing circuit so there was no new circuit as such. So I cannot get another electrician to come and go through the work with the person who put it in, explaining what he did and then get a certificate?
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:25 am

Postby ericmark » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:52 pm

If your friend the electrician can get the test equipment there is nothing stopping him from testing it filling out all the forms there are copies in many places from iee website to 16th edition then submitting these to the council. Since it was not a new circuit really speaking its not under Part P had it been under Part P he could have faced problems for not declaring before the event what he intended to do. I am also a commercial electrician and had electricians run off while halfway though building a wet room. I explained position to the council presented the paper work once I had rectified work started, and it was all passed without a council electrician visiting. Holding 2391 inspection and testing cert and 16th edition plus degree in electrical and electronic engineering may have helped but I was not asked for copies of these. I of course made sure the results would pass before submitting. The hardest task was to get the supply authority to provide an earth having to point out although they do not need to supply and earth they do need to inform me what earth system should be used and as next door was TN-C-S (PME) my dads should be the same. It had a 4mm bare copper earth to steel earth rod as original in real terms relaying on the water pipes both of which had been disconnected by building firm. Glad to say no longer trading. For emergency work Part P may be applied for retrospectively so if the original sockets were damaged and presented danger they can be changed the council informed. Which was the case in the work I undertook.

Hope this helps Eric

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics