Changing a light fitting problems....
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mkuner
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a light fitting problems....

by mkuner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Please help!

I have tried wiring in a new ceiling light and the light itself works, but for some reason the outside porch light has stopped working since I wired in this light and I can only assume that it runs of this light feed and I've done something wrong.

The wires I have coming in from the ceiling are as follows:-

Grey with a blue sleeve - Switched main??
Black - This is the live wire
2 Blue wires - These are neutral
3 Brown wires - ???
1 Green/Yellow for earth

Originally it was wired similar to another light, which is currently as follows on one of those round block things that screw directly to the ceiling in new build houses:-
Blue (with brown sleeve) on far left
Brown which is from the bulb wire
miss one
2 Browns together
2 Blues together
1 Blue from the bulb wire
miss one

Thus far I have wired up the new light as follows and it works, just the front outside light, which runs off the same switch don't :-

Black going to live of the light fitting
2 Blue ones going to neutral of light fitting

2 Brown ones going in a chocolate block on one side and the other side has the other brown wire and grey (with blue sleeve) wire. I assume I've done something wrong with this particular little lot but not sure what??

The earth is chocolate blocked off as this light has no need for it according to the instructions and there is no earth feed from the fitting.

The downstairs light is also controlled by 3 switches, one which is a 2 button switch controlling this light and outside porch light, second switch is just a single in the same corridor and another single switch on the upstairs landing controlling this light.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 am

Remove black wire and replace it with brown wire with blue sleeve.
Connect black wire to the 2 remaining brown wires in middle connector block.
In other words swap those 2 cables over.
Should now work.

mkuner
Labourer
Labourer

by mkuner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion and I've given it a try but it still don't work. If I remove the black one from the light fitting then that light don't work at all and also stops the kitchen/dining room lights from working aswell.

However it did mean the outside light worked.

I then tried loads of other combinations but drew a blank.

I think however though that the grey wire with the blue sleeve is connected to the outside porch light, but despite connecting it nearly every combination I can think of, it wont work... :(

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 pm