Changing garage to living space on new build
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Claremac
Labourer
Labourer

Changing garage to living space on new build

by Claremac » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Just Googled and found this site - what an amazing resource! Hoping that someone may be able to help me with a question. I am currently in negotiation with a builder over a new build - only 2 houses not an estate. it has an integral garage which we would prefer to use as living space (car wouldn't fit anyway!).As the build is still at an earlyish stage (roof on, windows just gone in) the changes shouldn't be difficult - adding heating, power, TV point etc. The question is about planning permission.
As I understand it, garage conversion comes under permitted development but what is the situation if, as here, pp was granted for a house with a garage. Does the house have to be built with a garage and then changed retrospectivly which would be daft? There are 2 parking spaces. The builder says he can ask his architect to apply to the council for a minor amendment to pp. If this is unsuccessful where would I stand? Would it be possible, for example, to have the heating etc put in place, walls plastered etc with a view to changing to habitable room under permitted development rights some time later?
Hope my ramblings are clear and thanks for any help.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Talk to BC yourself and explain the situation. They are most helpful generally.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1