Changing plugs on foreign appliances
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kyla130
Labourer
Labourer

Changing plugs on foreign appliances

by Kyla130 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:40 am

Hi,

I recently bought a stereo from Germany and have been told that I can simply cut off the two pin plug and fit it with a UK plug. I was a bit concerned as I know they don't have an earth wire, but was told that it would be fine as German products have a built in earth system! Is this true and would it be safe to simply change the plug to a UK one?

Thanks and best wishes

Kyla

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:59 pm

You can get converter plugs Manufacturer Power Breaker Manufacturers Part No. SCP3 RS components uk Stock No. 453-2775 these allow you to perm fit an adapter without cutting off old 2 Pin CEE VII VDE plug used in Europe. Cost about £1.95 Europe has same standards as here and if you do not require an earth it will have the double square sign one square inside another and normally if it has two core cable then it will be double or reinforced insulated and most likely will not require earth as with this country sometimes imports do not comply but if German made it should be OK. Wire colours same as here if you want to fit standard plug and fuse up to 750 Watts 3 amp over 750 Watts 13 amp the fuse is selected to protect the cable and allows the use of thiner cables than used in German. Their RDS is different to ours and will not work. Otherwise we are all Europe and we have harmonised our system.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Kyla,
most hifis are what is known as double insulated, as such not requiring an earth connection no matter where purchased. near where the flex enters the unit should be a symbol of a square within a square this is international sign to confirm class 11 equipment (Dbl. Ins.)
If when plug cut off two wires in flex then just connect to L & N in plug, if 3core then also connect earth in plug also, flex colours will be same as ours Brn=L, Blue=N, grn/yel=earth,
if any other combination (unlikely) then repost,
regards SPARX

Kyla130
Labourer
Labourer

Plugs

by Kyla130 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks to both of you who replied - its great to know there are still nice people out there willing to share their expertise and help the ignorant!!! Can't wait to use my new stereo!

Best wishes

Kyla

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:22 pm