Chipboard on insulation and pipe lagging
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevs
Labourer
Labourer

Chipboard on insulation and pipe lagging

by kevs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi, I have just put 170 mm insulation over all my loft floor, and wanted to floor part of it, with 18 mm chipboard and add a further 100 mm insuation over the remainder of the floor. Is that OK, and does the chipboard offer any benefit in insualtion? There are thick foam sheets that I could also use but they are much more expensive compared to the chip. (I guess I would want to floor about 12% of the total area). Also I have lagged the 22mm and 15 mm pipes, but also have some 10 mm pipes (copper). Having problems getting the foam tubes for 10mm so can I use 15mm and tape them up?

Help very gratefully received! Kev :)

fresh246
Labourer
Labourer

by fresh246 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm assuming you have layed your first layer of insulation (170mm)between the ceiling joist and you want to place your chipboard on top of that then add 100mm around the rest of the floor area thats not floored if so that is fine but when you put your 100mm layer down cross lay it to get maximise benefit as far as chipboard's R-value goes its really low.
with regards to your 10mm pipe there is stuff available but what i tend to do is get the 15mm lagging and cut lengthways along it this will reduce it diameter when you pull it together

kevs
Labourer
Labourer

by kevs » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:42 am

[quote="fresh246"]I'm assuming you have layed your first layer of insulation (170mm)between the ceiling joist and you want to place your chipboard on top of that then add 100mm around the rest of the floor area thats not floored if so that is fine but when you put your 100mm layer down cross lay it to get maximise benefit as far as chipboard's R-value goes its really low.
with regards to your 10mm pipe there is stuff available but what i tend to do is get the 15mm lagging and cut lengthways along it this will reduce it diameter when you pull it together[/quote]

Thanks very much you're a star! Always worth asking somebody who knows. Kev

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:22 pm