Circuit Breaker for Electric Shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Plintock2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Plintock2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:10 pm

My son has just had a 9.5kw shower installed but the installer did not install a circuit breaker and said he would come back another time to do it. My son paid him in full, which I told him was unnecessary until the job was finished. What if he doesn't come back - how unsafe is the shower? Can it be used without the circuit breaker. Sorry to sound so stupid but I am worried. My son's flat is old and is in need of re-wiring too.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Circuit Breaker for Electric Shower

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 pm

[quote="Plintock2"]My son has just had a 9.5kw shower installed but the installer did not install a circuit breaker and said he would come back another time to do it. My son paid him in full, which I told him was unnecessary until the job was finished. What if he doesn't come back - how unsafe is the shower? Can it be used without the circuit breaker. Sorry to sound so stupid but I am worried. My son's flat is old and is in need of re-wiring too.[/quote]

PLINTOCK2

The electrician would have to register this as part p work and notify local authority building control.
Get him back immeadiatly to finish the job.

BLAKEY1963

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

this shower should be RCD protected, which is different to an MCB (often refered to as a circuit breaker) but I think thats what is meant. As above, this is notifiable and there is no justification for installing the shower and not installing the RCD at the same time. If this is the standard of his work you also can't be sure he has correctly calculated the cable rating for the existing instalation, because this is a powerful shower. I think if you need speak to the trading standards people if you can't get him back and ideally get a second opinion on the rest of the installation. Most electricians would probably charge a call out fee of £30-45 for this. If you are on the south of the country I would reccomend checkatrade to find quality trades people.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 am

Plintock2,
As BLAKEY has said this is part p notifiable work if not done by a registered electrician(www.competentperson.co.uk )
Your shower will not work if a breaker has not been installed at all, but can assume it is a new installation or is it a replacement for an old shower, where a breaker of some type may have already been connected up to the cable being used?

Issues are; if a replacement, that original circuit is fit to be connected to the shower. ie healthy circuit, correct cable size(CSA) and correct rated protective device. This circuit will also need RCD/RCBO protection, which is an added protective device against electric shock.

If it's a new circuit all the above applies, regarding, healty circuit, cable size and fuse rating for the output of the shower and RCD protection

If a new RCBO or MCB is used (note MCB must have RCD protection, does the consumer unit have an RCD installed within it?)
You will need certification, so depending which route has been taken as employing the installer, either part p certs if non registered electrician used or Electrical Installation Certs if competent person used.

So a bit long winded but hope info was helpful?

Summary:
Electrician should have notified work to a Building Controls organisation or be registered on a competent persons scheme.
Installation should be signed off and certificates should be issued.
The electrician should not have left you with a potentially dangerous situation, he may not have but this circuit should not be made live until all issues I have mentioned are in place and the installation is healthy and fit for purpose.

Regards
KB

Plintock2
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Plintock2 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks to all who posted regarding this. Well, my son noticed there was a leak from the inlet hose that the installer connected. He came back to sort it but said he couldn't get hold of a circuit breaker till Sunday and would come same day to do it before 12noon. He didn't come back, it's still leaking and he's got his answerphone on. A friend tried him and started to leave a message and amazingly he cut into her call. So, from that, it looks as though he's avoiding my son's calls.

The inlet hose he put on is the rubbery sort like on a washing machine and he connected it to the pipe leading to the cold water tap on the bath. I may be wrong but I thought it should have been copper/chrome.

If he doesn't come back to sort it on Monday or he won't answer any calls then we're just going to have to get someone else to check it over as we're both novices. We will also contact trading standards for advice.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 am

have you paid him and is he registered with any governing body if so call them with he,s details.
Trading Standards may put the wind up him but they have no legal clout!
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm