Clueless at electrics..how to connect new lights into loop
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
biglxw
Labourer
Labourer

Clueless at electrics..how to connect new lights into loop

Post by biglxw » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi

Im completely clueless at electrics. I have purchased 3 new ceiling lights. 2 i have wired up no problems. However when i fooloishly tried the third, i noticed that there were many more wires than the other 2. I mixed the wires up and now cannot reconnect them. All 3 lights now do not work (the other 2 did until i tried wiing the third).

All the three lights are down stairs (kitchen linked dining room linked extension).

The kitchen light and the dining room light run off a 2 way switch, the extension runs off another switch (which links to 2 more lights on a 3 ay switch).

I hope that makes sense to those in the know?!? Im currently typing this in the dark as ive managed to blow the fuse for all the downstairs lights...................................HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

PS the house is not new build if that makes a difference?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi, tried to follow but lost plot near the end!
Please, what colours do you have at your light, how many of each colours, how should it be switched, can you find the wire from the switch?
If all cables are Red/Blks (+earths) & if 3 sets, then three reds go together in spare term. block,(not connected to fitting).
one Blk. comes from switch & should be marked as sw. line with tape/sleeving (red), it goes to live connection in light (to brn flex).
Two remaining Blks are neutrals which both go to fittings Neutral
(blue flex).
Earths go to earth term in fitting.
hope this helps,regards SPARX

Petriburg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Petriburg » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi Sparx,

I have a slightly different problem to the one above...

Having taken down a big fluorescent fitting to put a regular drop fitting in an upstairs room, I discover that there are two sets of wires coming in from the switch - I think!

I have managed to isolate the mains wires in the loft space and re-connect the circuit for now by joining them with a ceramic term. block.

Any suggestions on how I can rebuild the circuit and why there are two leads appearing to come in from the light switch?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm