Cold Radiators

Postby sibaker » Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi, I de-sludged my system a couple of years ago by draining entire system, after completing project one radiator downstairs remained cold. Lived with this, but yesterday i flushed and de-sludged system again, after refilling 2 radiators remained cold (both downstairs). Drained and refilled again today to see what happened and am now up to 3 useless radiators (all downstairs) thats all my downstairs heating gone. any ideas?
sibaker
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby bd3cc » Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Airlock
bd3cc
Progress to next rank:
41%

Postby rosebery » Mon May 04, 2009 10:26 pm

You won't desludge by just draining. Even adding X400 for a a while then draining again won't shift it all. If you have a sludge problem you can either add X400, wait, drain, remove each rad in turn take it outside and mains flush it through with a hose pipe or just powerflush the system.

However, I think your immediate problem isn't sludge its air. You haven't cleared all the air out of the system on refilling.

Clear the airlocks and you'll most likely be OK.

Cheers
rosebery

Postby Steve the gas » Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 am

Hi Si,

Yep, prolly an air lock/blockage. We need lots more info- boiler make/model and system type.
Steve the gas
Progress to next rank:
56%

Postby sibaker » Tue May 05, 2009 12:50 pm

thanks fellas,
that seems pretty unanimous.

I might sound stupid but, how do i clear the air locks then?

Rosebury - don't worry I didn't just drain it, I did use the required cleaner. I haven't got a sludge problem, it was just supposed to be routine maintainance.

cheers
Si
sibaker
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby rosebery » Tue May 05, 2009 5:53 pm

I wasn't worried but you didn't say! Never mind.

Cheers
rosebery

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!