Combi Boiler in Bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gl9dg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Combi Boiler in Bathroom

by gl9dg » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi, I was asked look at someones electrics as they got a minor shock when connecting a new toilet in. They touched between the metal (old cast iron) waste pipe and the sink pipe.

Long story short, the whole house is a electrical disaster area. Straight away I noticed no Main Earth bonding to the water or gas. It even appears that there is no earth connected direct from the main Earth bar to the CU! No bonding whatsoever in the bathroom. Hence, I suspect this is the reason for the shock.

The boiler in the bathroom is fed from a 3A FCU spurred off the Ring in 1.0mm T&E. Would this be best replaced with 2.5mm on its own circuit (20 MCB) or is this overkill? As long as its protected by RCD. As it is a item of electrical equipment in a bathroom, all of the pipes running to it would also need to be bonded, correct?

The supply has a 60A fuse, do you know if the supply authority charge for upgrading?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Combi Boiler in Bathroom

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:12 am

[quote="gl9dg"]Hi, I was asked look at someones electrics as they got a minor shock when connecting a new toilet in. They touched between the metal (old cast iron) waste pipe and the sink pipe.

Long story short, the whole house is a electrical disaster area. Straight away I noticed no Main Earth bonding to the water or gas. It even appears that there is no earth connected direct from the main Earth bar to the CU! No bonding whatsoever in the bathroom. Hence, I suspect this is the reason for the shock.

The boiler in the bathroom is fed from a 3A FCU spurred off the Ring in 1.0mm T&E. Would this be best replaced with 2.5mm on its own circuit (20 MCB) or is this overkill? As long as its protected by RCD. As it is a item of electrical equipment in a bathroom, all of the pipes running to it would also need to be bonded, correct?

The supply has a 60A fuse, do you know if the supply authority charge for upgrading?[/quote]

GL9DG
CONSULT THE SUPPLY AUTHORITY REGARDING 60 AMP FUSE QUIRY , BECAUSE IT INVOLVES SEAL DISRUPTION.
RCD COMING IN ANYWAY FOR BATHROOMS IN 17TH COULD RUN 2.5,
ON ITS OWN CIRCUIT, AND GODOWN TO 16 A MCB.
BUT ALL THIS WORK AS U PROBALY KNOW IS NOTIFIABLE, AND I ASSUME U WOULD DO THE WORK TO PART P.
THE EARTHING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE TO ADDRESS FIRST.
BLAKEY1963
ALL PIPE WORK IF METAL NOT PLASTIC AS SEEMS THE CASE NEED TO BE BONDED

gl9dg
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gl9dg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Cheers Blakey!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:08 am