combi boilers, traditional boilers with a power shower
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jan b
Labourer
Labourer

combi boilers, traditional boilers with a power shower

Post by jan b » Tue May 06, 2008 1:15 pm

hi
i need help desperately!!!

the situation is want to replace existing boiler as current system doesnt provide us with enough hot water. we have a jacuzzi bath and a power shower.
the problem we have is when we have a shower half way through we run out of hot water.
in the loft we have a tank, cold water tank and a pump.

so far i have had 4 companies in and only 1 of them has told me we cannot have a combi system due to us having a power shower. the other 3 have quoted us for a combi/condenser using a worcester bosch 30, 37 and 42 kilowatts.
WHY IS THAT? who is telling the truth??
if it is correct why would 3 quote for a combi knowing we have a pump?
they have been in the loft and have seen the set up so at what point would they say "sorry but this isnt going to work"?

if it is true what system would be the best for our needs?
i hope someone can advise me, thank you for your time

jan :cry:

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue May 06, 2008 5:37 pm

You can't have a combi if you want to keep the pump/powershower. You cannot pump mains cold water which is what you would be doing.

"why would 3 quote for a combi knowing we have a pump?"
because installing a combi is easiest, and if anything came of it - did they see the powershower ? they'd say not.

Ask them why,

It has to be a condensing boiler, with the powershower a condensing system boiler would suit you.

jan b
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jan b » Tue May 06, 2008 8:52 pm

hi

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

can i ask- the condensing boiler system you have mentioned will we have to increase the size of the tank in our loft too.

also- i have been told about a system that has a large unit? in the loft everything else in the loft is removed. the boiler downstairs is also removed. everything is run off this one item in the loft including the power shower. it gives unlimmited amount of hot water all the time.

do you know what this system is called and do you think it would be suitable for us?

thank you again for your help it is appreciated.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed May 07, 2008 11:19 am

"can i ask- the condensing boiler system you have mentioned will we have to increase the size of the tank in our loft too."

Probably. the shower manufacture will normally indicate a minum sized tank. What size is yours?

"also- i have been told about a system that has a large unit? in the loft everything else in the loft is removed. the boiler downstairs is also removed. everything is run off this one item in the loft including the power shower. it gives unlimmited amount of hot water all the time.

do you know what this system is called and do you think it would be suitable for us?"

I suspect you are talking about a Megaflo or a heat bank. Suitability can only be realy determined by on site advice I'm afraid.

Cheers
Last edited by rosebery on Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed May 07, 2008 10:33 pm

You could also remove the pump part of the power shower (assuming it is a separate unit) and fit a combi boiler. The increase in water pressure supplied direct from a combi to your mixer shower will give a better shower than your existing installation - and you will never run out of hot water again.

This of course all depends on the flow rate of your main incoming supply which you should ensure is sufficient first.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 10, 2008 9:34 am

In the first post you say running out of hot water is the problem.
In your last post you say is it necessary to fit a larger tank.

If you don't want to run out of water then yes it would be necessary to install a larger tank.

As plumbbob says, if you want a constant never ending supply of hot water i'd go for a combi boiler, with a thermostatic mixer shower. The shower should be ideal if you're mains cold water flow rate is good.

This'll get rid of all tanks and cylinders.

Maybe this is what the plumbers had in mind, install a combi and disconnect/remove the shower pump. Maybe they didn't explain this as you shouldn't notice a difference in the shower. If anything it'll be better.

Htg

heatman
Labourer
Labourer

Re:

Post by heatman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:44 am

htg engineer wrote:In the first post you say running out of hot water is the problem.
In your last post you say is it necessary to fit a larger tank.

If you don't want to run out of water then yes it would be necessary to install a larger tank.

As plumbbob says, if you want a constant never ending supply of hot water i'd go for a combi boiler, with a thermostatic mixer shower. The shower should be ideal if you're mains cold water flow rate is good.

This'll get rid of all tanks and cylinders.

Maybe this is what the plumbers had in mind, install a combi and disconnect/remove the shower pump. Maybe they didn't explain this as you shouldn't notice a difference in the shower. If anything it'll be better.

Htg
It all depends on the type of shower unit that he has installed in the property, if it is an Aqualisa digital then i'm afraid he cannot run this with a combi boiler, If as the writer says, he is running out of water and I assume he is referring to the hot water supply, he needs to be looking at a larger cylinder and /or larger cold water storage tank, which will be a cheeper option than the fitting of a new boiler.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1