Condensation & plants growing through the wall!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mitchy78
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation & plants growing through the wall!

Post by mitchy78 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi,
We live in a 1930s ground floor maisonette with solid walls. We appear to have a severe condensation issue with water running down the 2 back bedroom walls resulting in thick black mould. We continually wash down with bleach and have repainted numerous times yet it regrows. We have a radiator in both rooms yet the walls are always cold and in one room wet.
To top it off we now have around 5 weed/plants growing through our skirting boards in the main bedroom. We are ground floor but I cannot see from the outside how or where they are getting in.
To be honest I don't know where to start and what trade to contact to help resolve this issue.... any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

SkintChris
Labourer
Labourer

Post by SkintChris » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Mitchy,

Unfortunately I am not able to help you but I do have a similar problem with the exception of plants growing!!!

In my upstairs spare bedroom I have the external wall covered in mould and damp to the extent of it dripping during the evenings.

The room is always well ventilated as the window is opened everyday for around 6-8 hours even during winter.

The mould run parrallel to the external line of the roof but also down next to the window and causes mould on the blinds.

I have noticed quite large cracks in my external walls where I am sure the house is subsiding and I imagine that this is causing the damp and the condensation.

Hopefully someone can explain what we can do or recommend someone or something to help our problems.

Unfortunately it seems that the forum is not that perticually well stocked with people of such knowledge as many of these questions and shouts for help has gone un answered.

Fingers crossed someone can help.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:11 am