Confusion over Wiring on Replacing old Ceiling rose with new
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
awesomegiles26
Labourer
Labourer

Confusion over Wiring on Replacing old Ceiling rose with new

by awesomegiles26 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi, I want to replace an old ceiling rose which had this horrible looking glass lantern thing. I've removed the old one and have come to fit the one, however I'm slightly confused on what these wires are?
The light goes to a twin switch which operates the inside and outside light. There's two cables, 1x four core and 1 x three core. The two red wires were in the ceiling and were not connected to anything. See images below (Had to use imugur as pictures were to big to upload)

And do I need to remove the cable connectors and wire them straight into the new curling rose?

Thanks! :)

http://imgur.com/a/W4Qys

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Confusion over Wiring on Replacing old Ceiling rose with new

by ericmark » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:44 am

It is unusual to use triple and earth as the switch wires however with LED lighting that may become more common. In the main our switch does not have a neutral but in your case it does.

So likely the twin and earth is the supply cable, but the person wiring wanted flex to feed outside light so they have taken a neutral to the switch using triple and earth then from switch to outside lamp. Quite a good method as that means a single round wire into the fitting outside.

Most ceiling roses have four connections. A clamp for the earths and a connector block with two, three, and three holes. These will be switched line, permanent line, and neutral. This method makes it easy to install emergency lights or ceiling fans.

So Yellow goes to brown on lamp first to holes, two reds into centre block with three holes, and black and blue connect to blue on lamp in the three hole block.

Outside lamp takes supply from switch likely a connector links blue to blue and there will be a link red on one switch to red on the other.

Clearly a little guess work on my part as can't test but that is what I expect you will find.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:40 am